CubsHQ Boards

Donor's Den General Leaderboards HQ coins™ POTD Hall of Fame FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your HQ coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Non-roster invitees for Cubs: Who stands a real chance?
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

Feb 6, 2020, 5:07 PM

On Wednesday, the Cubs released their 61-man Spring Training roster, which included 21 non-roster invites. Full Story »

founder_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Non-roster invitees for Cubs: Who stands a real chance?

Feb 7, 2020, 6:12 AM

Well, that was pretty depressing. Not very much to get excited about in that group. One can only hope Morrow has fully recovered.

Message was edited by: Ken®

Feb 7, 2020, 8:52 AM

It's a reason they don't have a roster spot I would imagine. I actually think the group is pretty talented overall for being non-roster types.

I've seen worse groups before lol.

Feb 7, 2020, 10:35 AM

Looking at the non roster invitees, 3 stand out to me that could make this Roster. Hernan Perez is an interesting piece because he fits what the Cubs like to do. A versatile player that can play seven different positions. When given the chance in Milwaukee he did decent at times.

Josh Phegley: with an additional roster spot this season the Cubs may elect to go with three catchers to give them more flexibility late in games. This would also allow them to move Caratini to first to give Rizzo days off and move Contreras around too to keep him healthy. That is where having a third catcher would be crucial and Phegley makes the most sense.

The third and final player is a combined player in Winkler and Morrow. Starting with Winkler, the Cubs and him agreed to a split deal were he is technically on the minor league roster. He had a rough year last year, but we have seen how good he can be when he is on. Should he return to 2017-18 Winkler, the Cubs will have no choice but to sign him out of spring.

Morrow is the most interesting player in camp and i am surprised to see the Cubs bring him back. The only positive right now is that he claims he is fully healthy something we havent heard since 2017. Now can he stay healthy? if he can, Morrow is the one guy that could be the X factor to the Cubs pen. Not only did he do a great job closing, but was phenominal as a set up man for the Dodgers which is where his best role is. I would love to see him make it back and be given a chance to rediscover his magic. we will see how things go.

Feb 7, 2020, 12:26 PM

agree on pretty much all of that

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic