CubsHQ Boards

Donor's Den General Leaderboards HQ coins™ POTD Hall of Fame FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your HQ coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Cubs Odds and Ends: Adbert Alzolay thoughts, Is this it for the Cubs in 2019?
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1

Sep 2, 2019, 8:12 PM

As of Monday, the Cubs had a 69.6% chance of making the playoffs and just a 2.8% chance of winning the World Series. Full Story »

founder_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cubs Odds and Ends: Adbert Alzolay thoughts, Is this it for the Cubs in 2019?

Sep 3, 2019, 12:47 AM

The thing I hate about "September baseball" is that all this pressure takes away from the beauty and the essence of the game. Suddenly, this beautifully relaxed and leisurely game is all about mandatory wins. Its too much like football. Give me May baseball any day. When winning and losing doesn't matter nearly as much as simply playing. When hot dogs, and nachos, and peanuts mean more than ERA, OBP, and magic numbers.
Its particularly obnoxious these last couple of years with the Cubs. They've gone from the loveable losers to "win the World Series or you're gone." I personally just appreciate that we've got a likable roster of guys who are entertaining to watch. Wilson's throws from home, Javy's magic at short, Almora's work in the outfield, Bryant to Rizzo...watching these guys play well and have fun is more important to me win at all costs.
And lastly, these guys are playing #### well. How quickly we forget that in the five years before Joe completely changed this team, we threatened to lose 95 a year. We finished dead last in the division five years in a row. Now we threaten to win 95 a year, and we get to watch them in the post season every year. We used to fully respect how hard it was to make it to October, let alone to win another World Series. Now we expect it, or we expect firings. Sad. I miss this game when it was relaxed and fun, and less like the win-or-else nature of football.
I wish baseball fans, or at least Cubs writers would remember what makes this game great, and to stop following football's "every win matters" mentality.

Re: Cubs Odds and Ends: Adbert Alzolay thoughts, Is this it for the Cubs in 2019?

Sep 3, 2019, 9:03 AM

Yea it appears that Cubs fans want World Series or bust nowadays.

Replies: 2
| visibility 1
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic