CubsHQ Boards

Donor's Den General Leaderboards HQ coins™ POTD Hall of Fame FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your HQ coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Commentary: Are the Cubs the top NL team once again?
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 51

May 14, 2019, 11:23 AM

This Cubs team has found their swagger again. They are playing like a team that can’t wait to show up to the park every day no matter who they are playing. The Cubs are playing with a lot of confidence right now, and that should put every other team on notice. Full Story »

founder_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Commentary: Are the Cubs the top NL team once again?

May 14, 2019, 12:08 PM

No doubt and really no surprise to see the Cubs playing at the level of 2016. I agree it's a little early to be professed the National League Pennant winners, but they have definitely turned things around in a relatively short time. I don't panic but I do get frustrated when they lose, especially when they beat themselves.

I know I keep saying this but they still need a bona-fide, reliable closer if they are to win the pennant. I would also love to see an everyday solid leadoff hitter. I'm hoping Caratini comes back to soon and will be 100% healthy. Contreras will need some rest to remain strong in the 2nd half of the season. He has found his power stroke and has already matched last year's homerun total and that's a good sign.

The central division is going to be a dogfight throughout the rest of the season. As it currently stands the Cubs are still the team to beat, so if they can continue to put some distance between them and the rest of the division that can only be a good thing.

I'd like to see Happ brought up and play left field. He had a tough offensive year last season, but he's a proven hitter and when he is going well he is patient and takes his walks, more than I can say for Schwarber. He's less of a liability in left than Schwarber is. He's proven he can play center as well and Almora will be great defensively whatever field he plays.

So Cubbies keep the roll going, the talent and chemistry are back and this team is capable of doing some great things this season. You can almost feel the belief in themselves and more importantly the belief that they are a TEAM, and have put the division on notice. Go Cubbies Go.

May 14, 2019, 12:39 PM

Thanks for sharing...I agree that it's early but at only 14 losses at the quarter mark, Cubs fans can be optimistic on the season for sure.

I'm not sold on bringing Happ back soon. Let him continue to get 4-5 at-bats a day and work on his hitting while the Cubs have won 21 out of 27 games. No reason to get too move happy when everything is clicking on all cylinders.

May 14, 2019, 4:58 PM

I couldn't agree more. Keep on keeping on, it's working and that's all that matters.

May 14, 2019, 5:41 PM

Yep

May 14, 2019, 7:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Commentary: Are the Cubs the top NL team once again? ]

Hey Brusch653, thanks for checking in and for you comments.

It's never too early to get hyped on this team. Because Cubs fans don't have any history to fall back on when the team is really good I asked some Yankee fans of mine how we should be feeling and acting now that we have a great team. The feedback ranged from phones slamming down to advice that was simple and well thought out.

Enjoy the good times and tell everyone else to go to He double hockey sticks.

A closer would help but look for the Cubs to move Happ and a AAA pitcher for one later this summer. Happ is done with the big league team as a full time player.

Keep reading and keep coming back with your input. I speak for the whole CubsHQ.com family when I say we are all tired of hearing from Ken so your input is very welcome.

May 14, 2019, 9:15 PM

LOL KenAllison18®

May 14, 2019, 10:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Commentary: Are the Cubs the top NL team once again? ]

Hey Brusch- great comments as always. Pay no attention to Dan, he's a bitter old man. If I had to guess, I'd say at least 10 people a week hinge on every word I say.

May 16, 2019, 11:33 AM

I'm not sure they are the top team. They are playing well now but there are some holes in the bullpen and injuries are a concern especially Rizzo's back.

Replies: 8
| visibility 51
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic