CubsHQ Boards

Donor's Den General Leaderboards HQ coins™ POTD Hall of Fame FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your HQ coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Commentary: What does Maldonado trade mean for Victor Caratini's future?
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

Jul 16, 2019, 3:10 PM

Out of the blue on Monday night, a trade between the Cubs and Royals was announced: LHP Mike Montgomery, for the catcher, Martin Maldonado. Full Story »

founder_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Commentary: What does Maldonado trade mean for Victor Caratini's future?

Jul 16, 2019, 3:48 PM

I feel the Cubs should keep Caratini he's only going to get better. I have no idea what Epstein has in mind, but do believe that Happ will be included in some trade. I've said all year that Almora should be the starting center fielder and he's proved with more playing time he will hit for a decent average. His defense has never been in question, that's my opinion.

Though Schwarber has handled the leadoff spot he's just not a leadoff hitter. If he is going to play put him somewhere in the lineup that when he he hits the long ball someone will be on base. He has 20 homers yet only 45 rbis, that says many of the his long balls have been solo shots. With his strikeout ratio I'd put him in the 7 hole and hope for the best.

Until we know if Zobrist is going to return Epstein may wait on making any moves. Zo is 38 so he won't be playing everyday so your right back to the leadoff situation.

Until there is more consistent play defensively and offensively why do anything. This team has never gotten into a groove all year. Just when you think they are finally putting all together you get a game like last night, another game that should not have been lost. So Epstein can make all the trades he wants but until the core of this team starts playing and winning with more consistently, I don't see it making much difference.

Jul 16, 2019, 5:10 PM

Cubs carried 3 catchers in 2016. Technically 4 if you count Schwarber. Just saying. Caratini and Wilson play other spots too

Jul 16, 2019, 5:42 PM

Yep Cubs have a ton of versatile dudes

Jul 16, 2019, 5:46 PM

I would hate to see Caratini go. He has not been given the dozens of chances that Happ received. I still would like to see Happ develop into reserve player for the Cubs. I would hope they have plans to trade Maldonado for some bigger fish. However I don't know the whole picture. Hopefully it will work out for the Cubs and Maddon.

Jul 16, 2019, 7:21 PM

Well, one things for sure... Maldonado won't be part of a trade for Merrifield...

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic