CubsHQ Boards

Donor's Den General Leaderboards HQ coins™ POTD Hall of Fame FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your HQ coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Cubs' late surge comes up short in close loss to Astros
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1

May 27, 2019, 6:07 PM

Despite going yard twice in the ninth inning, the Chicago Cubs came up just short of pulling off a comeback against the Houston Astros in the series opener on Memorial Day. Full Story »

founder_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cubs' late surge comes up short in close loss to Astros

May 27, 2019, 7:54 PM

Same old story Pitching. Come on, focus, execute your pitches. Part of the blame has to lay with the catcher and pitch calls. Hopefully Hamels can get it figured out, he's a veteran, pitch efficiency has been part of his problem. Too many deep counts where he has to lay it in there for a strike and the hitters are ready. He's better than he has pitched of late. But the pitch count with all of the starters lately has been terrible. Talk about some tired arms in the 2nd half this will be one of the reasons. It's very hard to go past 5 or 6 innings when you throw 20-25 pitches an inning to get three outs.It just seems to be the nature of how the game has changed. It seems the mentality is if the starter can go 6 innings thats great. To me that's just down right crazy. If you can't pitch 7 innings or more on four days of rest at this level then you shouldn't be pitching, but that's how the game is played today, pitch 6 innings, bring in your 7th inning guy, then your 8th inning guy, and finally the closer. It all looks and sounds good on paper but just how effective has it been?

I get the feeling with the amount of money the players are making that they feel they can play the way they want, that they don't occasionally require some redirection from the coaches. The mentality of, this is how I play, I don't need any help is the epitome of arrogance. They get more accolades for a walk off base hit than a soldier gets for sacrificing his life so they can play a kids game. Something they should reflect on.

I hate being so pessimistic, but I get so frustrated when we lose games that should be won. The Minor leagues are in place to teach the fundamentals of baseball and to develop players before they reach the bigtime. Somehow what was taught has been forgotten, like situational hitting, knowing how to properly bunt, going to the opposite field,etc. Swinging for the fences every at bat is merely sandlot baseball and more personal concern than concern for the team. Let's go Cubs

Re: Cubs' late surge comes up short in close loss to Astros

May 28, 2019, 1:11 AM

I feel your aggravation. I can't stand seeing a team THIS GOOD playing THAT BAD.

Replies: 2
| visibility 1
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic