CubsHQ Boards

Donor's Den General Leaderboards HQ coins™ POTD Hall of Fame FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your HQ coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Cubs odds and ends: Improved Cubs, Chatwood closing, Zo's situation, more
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

May 26, 2019, 2:01 PM

The Cubs have got nothing to lose by using Chatwood to close. It took Maddon forever to give Kyle Schwarber a crack at the leadoff spot in 2019 and look at how that’s turning out.
Full Story »

founder_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cubs odds and ends: Improved Cubs, Chatwood closing, Zo's situation, more

May 26, 2019, 2:38 PM

My dear Mr. Allison,

As a card carrying member of the cybermetrics clan, you have become so much more worried about fake baseball, (fantasy baseball, gambling, and stats geeks) than you are about real baseball.

For those, like Ken, who have forgotten what the point of baseball really is, here's a quick reminder.

The team that wins more games wins the title.

Wins and losses will always be important. It's clever and fun to talk about quality starts, which nobody really understands what that has to do with anything, and WHIP, FIP, Gladys Knight and the Pips, or whatever is the stat dujour this week.

Let's not turn MLB into tee ball where everybody gets a participation trophy.

May 26, 2019, 3:53 PM

For one, I beg to differ, chi2pd.
Ken has put a lot of unpaid time and effort into all his contributions here, including mostly useful statistical research. It is a labor of love for him, and i think its underappreciated.

May 26, 2019, 3:56 PM

Thanks, Norty. Numbers of always been a labor of love for me. Although I must admit, when I'm working on my statistics and rankings feature late at night, and I am dead tired, I curse myself forever starting that! Actually, I'm just kidding - it can be a pain sometimes to do all of those calculations, but I think the end product is worth it.

May 26, 2019, 4:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Cubs odds and ends: Improved Cubs, Chatwood closing, Zo's situation, more ]

and Dan.... I never suggested that they shouldn't keep win loss statistics for the teams, only for the pitchers. As I pointed out, they don't often reflect an accurate portrayal of what the individual pitcher did during any given game.

May 26, 2019, 6:05 PM

It's the most accurate reflection. Did he win or lose? That is all that matters. You don't get points in the standings for WHIP or ERA or K's.

And norty, I always appreciate Ken's efforts, as misguided as they sometimes are. I also respect his opinion on these subjects no matter how cockamamie they are occasionally. And I love the fact that you stepped up to defend him because he does a terrible job himself with me mostly.

May 26, 2019, 7:57 PM

I think that what makes baseball interesting and special...People can look at the game and stats and see different things...even if Dan is completely wrong...JK

May 26, 2019, 11:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Cubs odds and ends: Improved Cubs, Chatwood closing, Zo's situation, more ]

Dan, Dan, Dan... A pitcher's win loss record is NOT indicative of whether or not he put forth a winning effort, as it is co-dependent on what the team did ( or didn't do) while he was on the mound. Pitchers who deserve wins don't always get them, while pitchers who have terrible outings often get rewarded with a W, based on whether or not the TEAM can overcome his shortcomings. You're a smart guy, but I refuse to believe that you don't understand a basic concept here.

But just in case, let me ask you one more question...If the Cubs rotation each has a record of 4-0, but they've pitched a total of 8 games each, how does a no decision reflect on a pitcher? It's a game, in your own words, where there are wins and losses. So how then, do you guage a pitcher who's had 10 starts but has no record? If that guy pitches 5 perfect innings in each start, but comes out of a scoreless game, he qualifies for neither a W or an L, yet I'd say he was a god pitcher.

May 27, 2019, 7:56 AM

I'd say he didn't do enough to help his team win. Call me when baseball starts to base standings on sabermetrics.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic