CubsHQ Boards

Donor's Den General Leaderboards HQ coins™ POTD Hall of Fame FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your HQ coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Cubs reportedly view Albert Almora Jr. "valuable enough" to keep
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1

Nov 19, 2019, 11:51 AM

After the way last season ended for Albert Almora, losing the starting CF job, getting sent to AAA and barely playing once returning, it seemed as if he would be a legitimate trade candidate for the Cubs this offseason. Full Story »

founder_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cubs reportedly view Albert Almora Jr. "valuable enough" to keep

Nov 19, 2019, 1:34 PM

I agree with everything you say on Almora. I've been a fan of his, and it is unfortunate he's never developed into a better hitter. It is interesting, though, to look at his numbers compared to Heyward's. About mid-season, around the point where Albert stopped getting regular playing time, he actually had a higher average than Heyward, and his power numbers were very close to the same. Heyward had more walks, but the point it, in the world of sports, it's all about money. It was right to send Almora down, and it would have been right to send Heyward down in 2016--I guess he was out of options, but you have to parse it like a pretzel to make a case he's had any real improvement. Heyward got lucky in getting the big deal just in time. If Almora had been just a tiny bit better at the right time, he could have gotten a big deal with someone. For me, the story of these two illustrates the money side of sports. Once you're paying someone the big bucks, you have to pretend they're worth it.
Heyward did give his $18 million dollar pep talk during the rain delay of game 7, and for that alone, it was probably worth signing him. But his contract is an albatross, and what to do about that is a bigger question than what to do with Almora. But it isn't discussed, because there is nothing that can be done. Sadly, the Heyward contract (and Theo's giving it to him; his numbers never justified it--I don't fault Jason for taking the money!) may well prevent the Cubs from winning another title with the core that did it in 2016.

Re: Cubs reportedly view Albert Almora Jr. "valuable enough" to keep

Nov 19, 2019, 3:46 PM

Probably the best first post ever on CubsHQ. I totally agree that Heyward's contract is not discussed because there is nothing that really can be done about it.

My friends and I thought the reports were joking when they announced the contract details and the length. It was just a crazy deal for a decent player. Never spend that type of money on a corner outfielder if you can help it. There are so many available each year.

Anyways, thanks for the take.

Replies: 2
| visibility 1
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic