CubsHQ Boards

Donor's Den General Leaderboards HQ coins™ POTD Hall of Fame FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your HQ coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tom Ricketts finally adds payroll in winnable NL Central
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

Jan 29, 2021, 1:06 PM

After two or should I even say three years of spending next to nothing in free agency, the Cubs surprised fans a bit this morning by signing Joc Pederson to a one-year deal for seven million. Full Story »

founder_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tom Ricketts finally adds payroll in winnable NL Central

Jan 29, 2021, 1:32 PM

Dustin & Tony, I'm thoroughly confused with this signing. They let Schwarber walk but sign Joc. They both hit for a very low average, they both strikeout a ton and they both are no gazelle in the outfield but Schwarbs had a cannon for an arm for a left fielder. What am I missing as to why they let Schwarbs walk and sign Joc?

Jan 29, 2021, 1:37 PM

Ricketts added money which allowed this to happen. If he did this a month ago schwarber would be here

Jan 29, 2021, 1:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Tom Ricketts finally adds payroll in winnable NL Central ]

Ricketts added money which allowed this to happen. If he did this a month ago schwarber would be here

Jan 29, 2021, 2:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Tom Ricketts finally adds payroll in winnable NL Central ]

Schwarbs probably needed new scenery for his career and a new start. I think the Cubs think that Pederson might have a big year in 2021 on the Northside for what they paid.

Jan 29, 2021, 9:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Tom Ricketts finally adds payroll in winnable NL Central ]

I'd like to be pleased with this, but he's slightly less good than Kyle, slightly more expensive, and came at the cost of sending a fan-favorite slugger to a contending NL team. None of it makes any sense. Maybe he'll be a fine player for the Cubs. Maybe he'll hit .250, 40 HRs, and spark a stale offense. Maybe he'll bring some fresh perspective to a team that should still be Dodger rivals. Maybe.

Jan 30, 2021, 9:48 AM

Pederson actually hits a little better (makes more contact) and plays defense a little better (can play multiple OF positions) and a little cheaper, in all honesty.

I'm the biggest Schwarber fan but this was a decent move at this time in free agency.

Pederson had turned down the White Sox at $10 mil and the Cubs got him at only $7 mil.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic