CubsHQ Boards

Donor's Den General Leaderboards HQ coins™ POTD Hall of Fame FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your HQ coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CubsHQ: Can the Cubs ever win enough for their fans?
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

CubsHQ: Can the Cubs ever win enough for their fans?

Feb 3, 2019, 2:36 PM

Can the Cubs ever win enough for their fans?

After a total drought of 108 years, the Cubs won a World Series. The win represented the vindication of a team and its fanbase who had struggled together for over a century. Some lifelong fans, like my dad who passed away in 2014, would never see it happen. As great as it was, it often seems that 2016, alone, still wasn’t good enough for the fans.
Full Story »

founder_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CubsHQ: Can the Cubs ever win enough for their fans?

Feb 3, 2019, 2:56 PM

I feel compelled to throw in my 2 cents worth if for no other reason than to continue my tradition of disagreeing with Ken on 75% of his columns. Kind of my thing.

1st, in regard to 2016 being good enough for the fans, I feel that there have always been 33% of the fans that will never think things are good enough, 33% of the fans that are thrilled they finally won a world series, and 33% of the fans that just don't care either way and are looking for a beautiful sunny day in the bleachers or box seats for fun in the sun.

2nd, I, and most of baseball, can say with 100% certainty that Steve Bartman did not cost the Cubs a trip to the world series in 2003. Two guys cost them, Dusty Baker by not going out and calming down his rookie pitcher, and Alex Gonzalez who let an easy ground ball go thru his legs that ultimately led to the Cubs losing that game.

3rd, and most importantly, the Ricketts family, Theo Epstein, and the marketing department have done everything humanly possible to shed the loveable losers moniker. I would say that 80% or more of the fan base does not see this team as that anymore. In fact i could make a stronger case for the Cubs right now being one of the most hated teams in baseball by fans of almost every other team.

And now back to our scheduled Sunday afternoon theater production of Fear Strikes Out.

Feb 3, 2019, 4:37 PM

Can the Cubs ever win enough for their fans?

After a total drought of 108 years, the Cubs won a World Series. The win represented the vindication of a team and its fanbase who had struggled together for over a century. Some lifelong fans, like my dad who passed away in 2014, would never see it happen. As great as it was, it often seems that 2016, alone, still wasn’t good enough for the fans.
Full Story »

Morale wins championships one game at a time. I'm a relatively new Cubs fan even though I've secretly rooted for them since Sammy busted the lights out at then Enron field in Houston. #FreeSammy. Morale is a new idea in Wrigleyville but it's catching on. Keep going @DOM_Frederic. It's working. Good article Ken. Thanks.

Feb 3, 2019, 4:38 PM

Morale wins championships one game at a time. I'm a relatively new Cubs fan even though I've secretly rooted for them since Sammy busted the lights out at then Enron field in Houston. #FreeSammy. Morale is a new idea in Wrigleyville but it's catching on. Keep going @DOM_Frederic. It's working. Good article Ken. Thanks.

Feb 4, 2019, 8:59 AM

Thanks, Rudy. I haven't heard from you in a while- glad to see you joined our message boards. Hope things are going well for you, my friend.

Feb 6, 2019, 7:52 PM

Only 1 winner each year so fans have to manage expectations. I'm just happy the Cubs got the 1 title after 108 seasons.

These bandwagon fans I think that started following the last two or three years think that Cubs should win like the Yankees or Patriots or something and win every year. It's just not that realistic unless you get very lucky and stay injury free.

However, making the playoffs each year should certainly be a goal for the North Siders and I'm glad the Cubs are upping their game in the last five years or so in that regard. It's much more fun when the second half of the season means something and not in last place 30 games back like we used to be.

Feb 7, 2019, 8:38 AM

I agree. I'm grateful for the one championship. If they win 10 more in the next 15 years- awesome, but if not- then just be competitive.

Feb 7, 2019, 10:52 AM [ in reply to Re: CubsHQ: Can the Cubs ever win enough for their fans? ]

I completely agree. Consistent winning of championships in baseball is nearly impossible anymore. Just the fact that the Cubs are competitive and making the playoffs where they have a chance is a crazy improvement that seemed impossible 15 years ago.

Enjoy this while it lasts.

Feb 8, 2019, 10:38 AM

I'll still scream at the TV and rant when I write, but I'll be forever grateful for 2016. I just wish they could have won it all before my dad died.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic