CubsHQ Boards

Donor's Den General Leaderboards HQ coins™ POTD Hall of Fame FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your HQ coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CubsHQ: WATCH: Russell discusses his suspension, apologizes to former wife
General Boards - ChiSportsHQ News Discussion
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1

CubsHQ: WATCH: Russell discusses his suspension, apologizes to former wife

Feb 15, 2019, 5:00 PM

WATCH: Russell discusses his suspension, apologizes to former wife

Chicago Cubs shortstop spoke with the media for around 19 minutes today for the first time taking questions about his major league suspension for violating the Read Update »

founder_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CubsHQ: WATCH: Russell discusses his suspension, apologizes to former wife

Feb 15, 2019, 8:37 PM

You can watch the entire press conference above but here are some of the highlights.

Addison Russell appeared contrite, practiced, and looked questioners in the eye. He would not talk about specifics of the charges but he also did not deny any of them. He acknowledged that he is continuing to follow MLB instructions and the guidelines of his suspension.

He said, "My past behavior is wrong and unacceptable." "I'm doing everything in my power to become a better person, father, and partner."

He spent a good portion of the time apologizing to his ex, Melisa Reidy saying, "The person that has been inflicted the most in this process is Melisa and what I want to say to everyone here today and also to her is that I want to own those actions and I am sorry for the hurt that I have caused Melisa and the pain that I have put her through."

Manager Joe Maddon said, "We are trying to do the right things for everyone involved." Theo Epstein added, "We took our pledge to become a small part of the solution very seriously."

Feb 16, 2019, 10:50 AM

There's no doubt, he HAD TO say these things. It's what MLB and fans want to hear, but is it enough? Is he sorry for what he did, or sorry that this has cost him a ton of money and embarrassment? I've been on the fence about them taking him back. On the one hand, everybody makes mistakes, but then again, some mistakes are just too severe to be forgiven.

Is he owning up because it's the only way he can play, or is he apologizing because he's guilty? In my book, Russell is going to be branded forever. People will say he's innocent and only apologizing so that he can play and continue his career- and there's no way to prove that. On the other hand, the mere appearance of impropriety in the future will certainly end his career, whether or not it can be proven.

Guilty or innocent, I'd say he's certainly painted himself into a corner.

Feb 19, 2019, 7:27 PM

To be clear I wasn't taking any sides on this story, just reporting it out. I've made myself perfectly clear where I stand on this issue a couple of times already.

Replies: 3
| visibility 1
General Boards - ChiSportsHQ News Discussion
add New Topic