CubsHQ Boards

Donor's Den General Leaderboards HQ coins™ POTD Hall of Fame FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your HQ coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For God's sake, can we make a move on Kimbrel now?
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

For God's sake, can we make a move on Kimbrel now?

Mar 31, 2019, 8:30 PM

Please......

founder_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For God's sake, can we make a move on Kimbrel now?

Mar 31, 2019, 8:34 PM

You would think that Kimbrel might not ask for max money and just sign with a contender for a truckload of cash like the Cubs.

Mar 31, 2019, 8:38 PM

Gonna be at all three games this week in the ATL.....they hate that they don't have him anymore.....I hate it worse that we don't have him. Maybe what we witnessed the past two games will get Theo and The Big Man to open the checkbook.

Message was edited by: drknowledge®

Mar 31, 2019, 8:50 PM

winner of the series should get him

Mar 31, 2019, 8:50 PM [ in reply to Re: For God's sake, can we make a move on Kimbrel now? ]

It would be shocking if the Cubs signed him. I expect he will sign with a contender this week, Milwaukee and he won't help them either.

Every year the pitching needs about two weeks to catch up to the hitting and we need to wait it out to see what we really have. If after a couple of weeks we are seeing the same nonsense then you need to make some moves, but expect the Cubs to move guys around internally in their system.

Mar 31, 2019, 9:05 PM [ in reply to Re: For God's sake, can we make a move on Kimbrel now? ]

Won't happen, they've made that clear.

These guys think they have the solution IN HOUSE, they do not.

THAT said, plenty of questions need to be asked, as in; where has been the much ballyhooed YUGE off-season trophy, Mr. Brach? Why did they cut Tazawa when he pitched way better than those they kept? I know they re-signed him, but still.

More importantly, why can't Maddon grasp the fundamentals of small ball, & why does he put the team in a position to fail, like having Zobrist in Left at the end of a game, after he had just batted (into a DP because Joe didn't call for a H. & R.)?

How come after all this time, Willie doesn't know how to catch his pitching staff? WHY?

WHY do the Cubs play their non-roster invitees & their minor league kids late into the pre-season, instead of inviting what you're interested in seeing, & getting your guys ready & in shape for the season?

I could go on.

Sigh.

Mar 31, 2019, 9:11 PM

You make some interesting points for sure.

I am interested in seeing Brach pitch more. They are going to need him.

I do cringe sometimes when Contreras tries to show off his arm on a useless throw and doesn't give his pitcher a chance by not framing the pitch. I guess it's something he will learn better as time goes on.

Mar 31, 2019, 11:56 PM

I don't care if this season is 3 games old or not, I see a lot of disturbing things between Maddon's management decisions and a bullpen that has given up 17 runs in 11.2 innings and has let 4 leads slip away in just 2 games.

Apr 1, 2019, 12:36 AM

EXACTLY! Knowledgeable baseball fans see it as plain as day.

The weekend was a disaster in what should have been a sweep, or at least 2 out of 3.

At this rate, Joe is replaced by early July.

Apr 1, 2019, 7:22 AM

Nitehawk® I've had (for lack of a better term) a love-hate relationship with Maddon for a while. I'll always respect and appreciate that he turned my "loveable losers" into a WS Champion, but I just can't condone the majority of decisions he's made for over a year now. On the one hand, he's obviously the most successful Cubs manager in the modern day era, but on the other, it seems like his stock has lost a lot of value in the last 10 months.

It's like Maddon takes everything to an excess. While people raged, I supported the multiple lineup/batting orders for quite some time, as I felt that he was searching to find himself (and the team) the "formula" that they could work and win consistently with. Guess what? 163 games later, Maddon had used 152 different lineups/orders (160 variations if you count pitchers). The most he used any lineup last year was 5 times. I wrote a commentary about that, and as I recall, the lineup that he used 5 times yielded either a 3-2 or 4-1 record, so somewhere between a .600 and .800 win %- yet he wouldn't utilize it more.

His Rotation/Bullpen management is the same way, at least a majority of the time. Play the matchup game once in a while with the pen, but jeez, let guys pitch. I was livid when he pulled Hendricks in the ninth last year, and scratch my head daily over why he leaves guy in who are sinking like rocks, yet pulls guys that look solid. As ugly as Darvish's outing was the other day, he had pitched himself out of jam after jam, and had allowed onnly 1 run. Leaving him in couldn't have ended any worse than it did after he put Edwards in there. Same thing with Chatwood last night- he walked a couple, but removing him after pitched brilliantly in his first inning, did nothing to build the guy's confidence. Last year I'd have pulled him after the first walk, but he's NOT the same guy this year.

I could go on and on as well, but I think you get the point. I guess it'll be a little sad to see him go, but I really think it may be time. It's almost inevitable in my opinion, Joe's salary ranks among the top for managers, as does his age. theo said they needed to play with urgency, but Joe continues with his laisses fare attitude. It go time (literally and figuratively).

Apr 1, 2019, 8:10 AM

The season is only THREE DAYS OLD for god's sake.

Maddon has always been an idiot even when they won the series and now that the Cubs haven't renewed his contract suddenly everyone wants him gone. He is what he is and he isn't pitching or hitting or fielding so there is only so much he can do.

Last year everyone was slashing their wrists because the Cubs couldn't hit, well that problem is fixed.

Now its the bullpen that is an issue. The bullpen sucked last year too for stretches. If these pitchers can't get the job done then they will send them packing and bring up other guys in their system until they find 9 guys that can get outs.

They are not going to go out and sign a big name for any position so stop worrying about who is available. This team is what we have and by the end of the year they will be in first place with over 100 wins and everyone will be screaming for the Cubs to resign Maddon.

Apr 1, 2019, 9:32 AM

I believe almost all of that.

Apr 1, 2019, 1:01 PM

I agree. Double win. We need him and keep him from Brewers

Apr 1, 2019, 1:10 PM

It'll never happen. Cubs don't want to spend any money (or they can't afford to spend), but even if they could- they don't usually pay huge for closers. Kimbrel wants an outrageous sum, that he's never going to get.

Apr 2, 2019, 7:39 PM

He will have to come down. Surely the Brewers don’t have deeper pockets than the Cubs

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic