CubsHQ Boards

Donor's Den General Leaderboards HQ coins™ POTD Hall of Fame FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your HQ coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is it time to go to Japan style netting.
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

Is it time to go to Japan style netting.

May 30, 2019, 8:37 AM

The cubs pulled out a hard fought but much needed 2 1 win Last night behind another fantastic start from the professor. Lost in the celebration of this win was what happened during the 4th inning when albert almora of smashed a foul ball off a little girl in the stands.

Amediately Albert drop to his knees was in tears and was completely beside himself and never seemed to be with It the rest of the game. That brings me to the question should we go with Japan style netting starting next baseball season.

If you look at Japan baseball every stadium has netting that goes completely around the stadium and attaches to each fall poll this limits the amount of injuries and the chances a fan actually gets hit by a screaming line drive unless you're in the outfield. I understand that people being struck by full balls is not as common as some think but it's becoming more and more common each season as the ball is leaving the batt at a faster rate than ever before.

When professional baseball players Have a hard time reacting to a 96 mile an hour Fast ball at home plate or a basic infielder trying to snag a 100 plus mile an hour line drive at 3rd base how do you think a casual fan even paying attention has a chance to react let alone get out of the way of a baseball coming at them at a 120 miles an hour. It is almost impossible to avoid a situation like that and I think it's safe to say when Kris Bryant and other players think it's time for netting to go all the way across the ballpark that we and MLB need to listen and put netting completely around the ballpark. I get that it may take some foul balls away from the fans but you're still also a going to get those pop flies that will make it over the net so fans get souvenirs baseball is a great game and we need to make it as safe as possible so it's a lasting game.

founder_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is it time to go to Japan style netting.

May 30, 2019, 8:39 AM

follow the money...once the fans get scared and there is a downtick of buying those seats or the lawsuits pile up, then MLB will probably do something about it.

May 30, 2019, 9:47 AM

If they want to follow the money as you stated, now would be the time to put nets all the way around the field well attendance is still relatively high. Don't wait for the attendance to drop or the lawsuits to tie a log in is going to be harder and harder to put those nets do it now while the debate is hot and well more and more players are stepping up saying they would like netting to be all the way around because of the players are saying that that's gonna sink in a lot more than if the fan say

May 30, 2019, 9:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Is it time to go to Japan style netting. ]

I have 2 children of my own both under the age of 6 and whenever I go to a baseball game I will not purchase tickets unless we are sitting behind the net. I may pay attention 90% of the game but they don't and ever they're not paying attention I have to take my eyes off the game to see what they are doing and then That 1 second is When something could happen if you're not sitting behind the net

May 30, 2019, 11:23 AM

Yea...it's a difficult situation for fans with balls going 100 MPH at their faces even if they see it coming.

More nets are surely coming soon.

May 30, 2019, 11:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Is it time to go to Japan style netting. ]

You have about 99% more common sense than the majority of the parenting world. Kudos, my friend.

May 30, 2019, 10:11 AM

Great points Baker89. I have a column coming out later today that talks about this very issue.

There are over 2000 lawsuits a year in MLB where fans get clocked by balls hit into the stands.

Welcome to America where suing is the fastest growing sport.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic