CubsHQ Boards

Donor's Den General Leaderboards HQ coins™ POTD Hall of Fame FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your HQ coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Commentary: Catch me while Yu can
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

May 16, 2019, 3:01 PM

Recently, fellow columnist, Dan Marich, and I were talking about Yu Darvish, and what appears to be his desire to focus on strikeouts, rather than to just focus on pitching and entrusting his fielders to do the rest. Full Story »

founder_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Commentary: Catch me while Yu can

May 16, 2019, 4:44 PM

For those who may be new, former Cubs' reliever, Anthony Bass and I are friends. We talk often about the subjects in my articles, and he's always willing to lend his opinion and insight. We spoke about this piece (I emailed him my draft), and after looking at it, he had some insight. "I skimmed through your article and I started thinking why Taylor Davis catches Darvish better... TD is a very, very, good receiver, especially the low pitches. When I threw to him last season he got me a few extra strikes based on how he receives the baseball." (Always great to get some insight from a guy who plays and has played with these catchers...)

Nobody disagrees that Contreras still needs help with framing, but how do you then explain the success of the remaining rotation guys in terms of strikeouts? They don't get 10-12 a game, but they do get a pretty fair some.

Message was edited by: KenAllison18®

May 16, 2019, 6:47 PM

The starting rotation is a talented group even if I was catching...

May 16, 2019, 8:46 PM

That's true, but the point is Darvish is wearing himself out for a few extra strikeouts per game. Great for his k/bb ratio, but does nothing for the team when he peters out in the fifth.

May 17, 2019, 8:20 AM

He's always been a strikeout pitcher with his 1125 in the majors in only six years. He probably won't change too drastically.

Hopefully, he can go deeper in games by fine-tuning his control, hence less walks and getting to the 7th inning occasionally.

May 17, 2019, 4:03 PM

He just doesn't seem to get a lot of chases, and the umps aren't giving him those outside borders and borderline calls. God knows, they can hardly call a strike that is in the zone this year.

May 17, 2019, 6:12 PM

Lol

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic