CubsHQ Boards

Donor's Den General Leaderboards HQ coins™ POTD Hall of Fame FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your HQ coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fly the W, El Mago injured, Rizzo hits dinger, Cubs eyeing closer, more
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

May 20, 2019, 7:47 AM

Kyle Hendricks was cruising on the mound, on pace to throw another complete game with a total of about 90 pitches; then the paradigm shifted. Full Story »

founder_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fly the W, El Mago injured, Rizzo hits dinger, Cubs eyeing closer, more

May 20, 2019, 9:50 AM

Like Fox News you only tell an out of context part of the story.

Russell airmailed a ball on his first opportunity, cold off the bench, and it had no impact on the game or score. Later in the game he made two nice plays that you forgot to mention. Even the greatest shortstop in the history of baseball, Baez makes some bad plays occasionally.

Lighten up.

May 21, 2019, 9:05 AM

Russell has come into a few games cold this year, and hasn't had an issue with throwing (from 2nd base). not to mention that, the throw he made should never have even been attempted.

May 21, 2019, 2:28 PM

Hopefully the heel issue is minor and Baez will be back in the lineup soon. We need him in the lineup, he makes everyone better around him and the opposing team nervous.

Now to a more critical issue, that being a closer.
Last night's came was of the more disappointing and demoralizing losses. After fighting back only to again to have it tied in the 9th and lose it in the 10th. That hurt. Darvish didn't pitch badly, he just can't seem to catch a break at Wrigley. He was more efficient until the 6th and I actually believe he out pitched Arrieta. We have been giving up too many runs with two outs.

I've sound like a broken record but we have got to have a bona-fide closer. Morrow is done, even if he gets healthy which given his history is a big question mark, it will take several outings to become a serious threat. I feel bad for him but it's time for the Cubs to move on.

If they are serious, and they should be, to go after Ken Giles I doubt it will happen without a trade. So Russell and Happ are the two most likely the candidates to be traded. If they could get Giles for a cash deal that would be great, but I don't think that will happen. Overall our bullpen hasn't been horrible but there is a lot of room for improvement. I don't think they can continue to stretch out Montgomery every 2-3 days, he may be needed as a spot starter at some point. The pen is so unpredictable at this point you never know what you're going to get when you bring someone in. It's nerve wrecking to watch.

We can't wait for the trade deadline to find a closer. We need one now, someone that can come in and get that last big out and not come in and immediately walk the first or second guy they face.

I'm not sold on the Brach or Ryan in a high leverage spot. Maddon can only manage with what he has, but he has to have a closer that can get three outs and lock down a win.

Happ is not d well in AAA so I'm not sure what his trade value is and there will be teams that may not want the baggage that Russell brings with him, so if the Cubs don't have the money to make a deal, who else is there to trade? Zagunis? I wouldn't like that, but as the saying goes "To get something, you're going to have to give up something" I for one don't relish the idea of continuing to give up some of our top prospects. We've seen enough of that.

May 21, 2019, 7:12 PM

Hey Brusch653, great comments.

I'm not yet sold on going out and getting a closer. Last night was the 8th blown save of the season for the Cubs which ties them for 2nd in the NL behind the best team in the NL, the Dodgers. So the top two team have the most blown saves, why because they are also the top few teams in save opportunities.

Teams are not going to win every game. Tommy Lasorda once said teams are going to win a third of their games no matter what, they're going to lose a third of their games no matter what, it's how the do in the remaining third that determines their season.

For me the biggest issue with this team is still scoring runs with runners in scoring positions. They still are on these terrible streaks of 2 for 24 and 1 for 10 and 3 for 47. That has to end and someone has to start knocking guys in early in games.

Russell is not going to be traded but don't be surprised if Schwarber, Happ, and other bigger names are.

May 23, 2019, 11:50 PM

Dan, I agree that Happ will go, but you are higher than a kite if you think Schwarber is going anywhere. If Russell stays it won't be by choice, it'll be due to a lack of options. I just wrote a commentary about who may get the heave-ho, and both Russell and Happ are on the list of possibilities. The Cubs will also have to trade or DFA members of the pen, as minor league options are limited. Look for Ryan, Webster, Cedeno, and possibly even Edwards to become part of a trade.

May 24, 2019, 8:14 PM

The bullpen is dead to me, I don't care what they do out there.

Every baseball executive says the same thing, Schwarber needs to be a DH in the AL. If the Cubs were to package him with Happ or Edwards, or Descalso and get a couple of quality bullpen guys and or closer Theo will make that trade in a heartbeat.

And it's likely that I'm usually high as a kite in general.

High on the Cubs that is!

May 25, 2019, 11:17 PM

Schwarber's defense has improved ten-fold and he's killing it in the leadoff spot. Last year, I would have agreed, not now tho.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic