CubsHQ Boards

Donor's Den General Leaderboards HQ coins™ POTD Hall of Fame FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your HQ coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
5 concerns for 2019
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 51

5 concerns for 2019

Feb 9, 2019, 9:57 PM

The article gives five points:

1 Maddon staus
2 Yu Darvish Health
3 The Bullpen
4 Taking the next step player wise
5 Braynt health

The theme seems to be set on player health for the Cubs to have an all-star level season this year. The potential can be really high for the Cubs Bats as well if players like Baez, Albert Almora, Kyle Schwarber, And Ian Happ. If the players have a better season the last year the Cubs bats could look a lot different from last year. The Cubs bullpen still seems little weak compared to expectations of fans. Also, Morrow could be missing the start of the season due to surgery in November to right elbow. Pedro looks to be the starting closing ppitcherwith Morrow injury. Cubs have added a couple of bullpen pitchers into the mix. It's a waiting game to see how the bullpen will do.

https://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20190209/once-more-unto-the-breach-5-issues-for-cubs-to-address-in-2019-season

founder_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 5 concerns for 2019

Feb 10, 2019, 12:07 PM

I'm telling you now the Cubs have not done enough to shore up the pen after guys left for free-agency (Wilson, Chavez, De La Rosa, Garcia). Yes, I know, Garcia and De La Rosa were rentals, but they were rentals who came in and did a good job.

Feb 10, 2019, 12:13 PM

Every team in the majors has bullpen issues or looking to get better. Most teams have crazy turnover from year to year back there.

Teams are always looking for more depth and more quality. It never ends.

If Cubs starters pitch deeper in the games this season, the bullpen will be OK. They have some quality arms back there (Strop, Morrow, Cishek, Edwards, new FA guy), just don't need to be overtaxed by starters going 2 innings (Darvish, Chatwood) too often like last season.

Feb 10, 2019, 12:31 PM

I am very interested to Chatwood this year (spring training). I never thought Hickey connected with the players and "my friend" told me he wasn't a very helpful coach. Chatwood is hanging on by a thread, and if a new coach will turn it around for him, Hottovy is said to be the man.

Feb 11, 2019, 11:11 AM

I completely agree with Tony. Teams routinely have major turnovers in the pen every year so this is no big deal especially since the guys they lost were average at best, and that gives them more credit then they deserve.

The Maddon issue is a non issue. The players could care less about his contract status.

The health of Bryant is a major issue and if Darvish can come back and be an average pitcher the Cubs will have one of the deepest staffs in baseball.

Feb 11, 2019, 12:24 PM

I agree with Tony and Chi2pd

Feb 11, 2019, 5:24 PM

Darvish looks good so far, but I am still concerned he's not gonna stay healthy for 30+ starts.

Feb 11, 2019, 6:22 PM

I'm not a fan of Darvish... I just really hope he proves me wrong and becomes useful for the Cubs

Feb 12, 2019, 8:51 AM

If he starts 10 games this year it would be a 25% improvement.

Replies: 8
| visibility 51
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic