CubsHQ Boards

Donor's Den General Leaderboards HQ coins™ POTD Hall of Fame FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your HQ coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A universal designated hitter
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

A universal designated hitter

Feb 6, 2019, 10:27 AM

I saw Tony already add a thread of all the new ideas going but this one kinda caught be by surprise. Wanted to hear everyone's thoughts behind it. This is my thought...I hate the idea with a passion that's the wrong move a step towards AL is two steps backward. The NL with pitchers hitting is the true way baseball should be played.

founder_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A universal designated hitter

Feb 6, 2019, 4:30 PM

I don't like the designated hitter either.

The problem is they went with so many interleague regular season games that it is getting really skewed towards the AL as an advantage.

Feb 6, 2019, 5:11 PM

I hate the DH. Part of playing ball is batting.

Feb 6, 2019, 7:45 PM

It will eventually happen and it will take some getting to be a little weird for sure.

Feb 7, 2019, 8:19 AM

They're slowly but surely ruining the game- all in the name of speeding things up.

Feb 7, 2019, 11:10 AM

The Dh is a blight on baseball. It does not speed up the game.

Tony hit on the key here. How can you have two different rules when you are playing interleague games? (Which is another blight on the game) If you are going to have both of these things then you have to make some serious changes and that means both leagues play by the same rules and everyone plays everyone the same amount of times or there is a competitive imbalance.

The proposal to add a 26th guy on the roster, who isn't a pitcher, makes the most sense for eliminating the DH. Now you are not costing a player a spot which the union should be in favor of.

Feb 7, 2019, 11:44 AM

I think eventually they will have DH because the player's union know that a veteran could have a long career playing DH in the National League. More $$$.

I don't think they want their expensive pitchers batting anyways in case they get beaned or hurt by a pitch.

Eventually, we will see it I think. I think once they started interleague play, it got this universal DH momentum going. They should have never done the interleague play as much as they did.

Would be a cool story on why someone would or wouldn't want a universal DH.

Feb 7, 2019, 12:33 PM

I agree 100%

Feb 7, 2019, 2:37 PM [ in reply to Re: A universal designated hitter ]

Unfortunately you are correct. The NL is the only league playing baseball anywhere, at any level, that does not use the DH. Pitchers are just not used to hitting anymore and by the time they get to the majors they are very over matched.

If anyone thinks that ownership gives a poop about a pitcher getting hurt because of hitting you're dreaming. They will just pluck another one from AAA and off they go. Same thing for the union caring about an aging vet as DH. They only care about the roster spot and if you add another they would dump the DH in a hot minute.

Interleague play is the real cornerstone of many of these issues. It has a negative effect on competitive balance, personnel, and in game strategy. The manager of the Mets told Ron Darling this week that when he manages an interleague game with a DH being used he feels like he has a day off.

I'm too positive to do a story on why someone would not want a DH but Ken might be the guy for you. :)

Feb 8, 2019, 10:50 AM

I hate the whole DH concept, but my sole reason isn't enough for an article: IT ISN'T HOW YOU PLAY BASEBALL.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic