CubsHQ Boards

Donor's Den General Leaderboards HQ coins™ POTD Hall of Fame FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your HQ coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bans or limits on infield shifts could happen soon
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Bans or limits on infield shifts could happen soon

Feb 6, 2019, 9:21 AM

https://twitter.com/martinonyc/status/1093129966299082752

founder_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bans or limits on infield shifts could happen soon

Feb 6, 2019, 10:23 AM

As every ex baseball player has said in the past three years, if you want to the shift to go away hit it where they aren't playing. That will eliminate the shift.

MLB network last night pointed out that one of the primary reasons for the shift is to reduce OBP. The stats show that when teams shift, the batters reach base via walk 58% more often than with no shift. That pretty much kills the whole OBP reduction plan.

Feb 6, 2019, 5:10 PM

Dear God... I agree with Dan.

Feb 6, 2019, 7:46 PM

Hard for players to hit where they want to obviously or people wouldn't be shifting.

I wish more people would bunt like Rizzo, etc on the shift to make them stop some.

Feb 7, 2019, 8:22 AM

I think a lot of guys have the ability to go the other way, but they focus on power instead of placement. Just a millisecond of delay and you'll hit the other way.

Feb 7, 2019, 10:54 AM

Professional baseball players have the ability to hit the ball where they want. They hit into the shift because, like Ken said, they are trying to hit a home run and miss it.

The shift will go away once players start bunting, like Tony suggested, or hitting it away from the shift.

Feb 7, 2019, 11:33 AM

Cubs have hard enough time making contact...not sure they can hit where they want to. LOL

Feb 7, 2019, 2:43 PM

Not making contact has more to do with hitting homers than the shift. If I'm Joe Maddon a simple solution is any batter that hits a ball into a shift sits for 5 games with no pay, or do what Q did on the Hawks, limit their playing time. That, my friend will get their attention.

Feb 7, 2019, 2:46 PM

the shifts have changed the game so much. I can see it being a sort of an upside adding more his into the game of baseball instead of just home runs and powerful swings. That being said I don't like rules like that one what enforce the team to change their strategy. In other words, it takes some of the strategies out of the game.

Feb 7, 2019, 7:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Bans or limits on infield shifts could happen soon ]

I do think some of the Cubs are swinging too much for the fences like you said. However, pitchers are throwing 95 MPH+ nowadays and it's hard to deal with when its on top of you that quick.

I think only like seven or eight guys hit .300 in the NL last season when it used to be a ton more.

Feb 8, 2019, 9:47 AM

Guys threw in the 90's and 100 MPH back in the 20's and 30' and players hit .400. The change is not the pitchers its the batters approach that has changed. Players today only care about hitting it deep, back in the day it was embarrassing to strike out, today nobody cares.

Feb 8, 2019, 10:42 AM

While the shift creates a disadvantage if you hit into it, it offers a tremendous advantage if you hit the other way. I agree with Dan and Tony- bunting will also solve that problem, and this is one of those times when bunting line drives down the third base line won't hurt.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic