CubsHQ Boards

Donor's Den General Leaderboards HQ coins™ POTD Hall of Fame FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your HQ coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Cubs "interested" in OF David Peralta
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Cubs "interested" in OF David Peralta

Jul 9, 2019, 9:32 AM

https://www.cubshq.com/update/Cubs-reportedly-interested-in-veteran-outfielder-26898

founder_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cubs "interested" in OF David Peralta

Jul 9, 2019, 10:19 AM

Not sure this is a slam dunk move. He has been on the DL twice already this season and will get paid around $9 mil next season.

Sounds risky to me.

Jul 9, 2019, 12:25 PM

Is it a risky move? Yes, but at this point what can it hurt. Outside of Heyward, the Cubs outfield has looked awful. Schwarber is hitting homers, but that is about it as he is sitting in the 230 range. Almora had a chance to prove doubters wrong that he should be an every day player, but even his is only at 250 and hasnt been the same hitter since he struck the girl with the foul ball. Almora is getting better as of late so there is that. I like this move because Peralta is a solid hitter. He also wouldnt have to play everyday taking the burden off him. I would like to see a Meryfield or Dee Gordon trade, but this would be ok also.

Jul 9, 2019, 12:26 PM

$9 million for 2020 for another outfielder limits flexibility. It might help a little but doesn't move the needle much playoff-wise.

Jul 9, 2019, 1:13 PM

It offers flexibility as in he can play all three positions. That would prevent Bryant from seeing much time out there. Also, the Cubs have 60 million coming off the books for next year with Hamels, Zobrist, Morrow, possibly Quintana leaving before their other fa test the market. At that point, 9 million wont be much of a cap hit and the Cubs will probably receive some sort of cash compensation with any trade they make.

Peralta has been a good hitter and will continue to be a good hitter. Schwarber is not getting it done and Almora has taken a step back this season at the plate thus far. The Cubs need to lose their attatchments to palyers that contributed in 2016 and focus on what are you doing for me now.The reality is, Contreras, Rizzo, Bryant, Baez and Heyward are the only ones consistently getting things done for this team and even Bryant still isnt doing what he did in 2016. The Cubs have holes that need to be filled and no trade should be off limits in my opinion.

Jul 9, 2019, 1:30 PM

Unfortunately, they can only spend so much money with regards to payroll. With so many bad contracts and hefty ones coming up, schwarber and almora team friendly contracts offset some of the real bad ones.

I think they should shake things up but doubt they move them unless it's something really decent.

Jul 9, 2019, 1:31 PM

I think they will make a move just not Peralta

Jul 9, 2019, 1:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Cubs "interested" in OF David Peralta ]

I understand and get your take on the bed contracts That the cubs have made the past couple of seasons but how long can the send 2/3 of their outfield out there hitting under a 250.

I understand both Kyle and Elbert have team friendly deals but unless either one of them or both start to produce at the level everyone thought they would by now we need to move on from both of them to make our team better. Keeping the core together was always the main mission of this front office but they are no longer producing at that level and they need to start cutting ties from the dead weight on this roster even if they did play a key role in the World Series run 3 years ago. Am I appreciative and grateful of that World Series title of course I am I am no longer living in that season I'm focused on what is going on now reality is only about 5 players on this roster are producing at the level worth staying.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic