Topic: CubsHQ: An overview of the 2019 FA market based on WAR
Replies: 2   Last Post: Dec 17, 2018 10:33 AM by: cucubbie®
[ Main Cubs Boards - General Baseball ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 2  

CubsHQ: An overview of the 2019 FA market based on WAR

Posted: Nov 14, 2018 3:10 PM

An overview of the 2019 FA market based on WAR

While everyone is focused on names like Machado, Harper, Corbin and Pollock, the fact remains that there are about 173 other free-agents out there this season, and that doesn’t count the non-tender class that will be added to the FA list in about two weeks. Full Story »

2018 admin level memberfounder_donation.jpg

Re: CubsHQ: An overview of the 2019 FA market based on WAR

Posted: Dec 16, 2018 11:22 AM

Hi all. Longtime Cubs fan, first-time poster in this forum. At any rate, I agree with this author. Tieing up big money in one player is almost always a trap. I do think Ottavio would be a strong bullpen move. I read another article that says, what you currently see is what you are going to get. I also believe that to be true. Of the people on the current roster, we know Morrow will be on the DL and Russell will be suspended. Ottavio would help fill the void left by Morrow. Strop probably closes until Morrow is healthy. I would probably bad contract swap Chatwood for Russell Martin then Caratini could be sent to the minors for polish and possibly traded at the deadline if a need arises. If my math is right that leaves them looking for one infielder or one relief pitcher.

C - Contreras
1B - Rizzo
2B - Zobrist
SS - Baez
3B - Bryant
LF - Schwarber
CF - Almora
RF - Heyward

Bench - Happ, Bote, Martin (assumed), minor league contract SS
Suspended - Russell

SP - Lester, Hendricks, Hamels, Quintana, Darvish (no particular order)
RP - Strop, Edwards, Cisheck, Kinsler, Duensing, Montgomery, Rosario, Ottavio (assumed)
DL - Morrow

Well, there is my two cents. Maybe Ottavio is too expensive. Maybe Chatwood is not traded and takes that spot in the pen. In which case Caratini retains his spot on the major league roster.
The newest rumors about a free agent shortstop are probably most realistic. Unless someone like Bote is learning to play SS in the off-season and we don't know about it. But that is how I would play it if I had any say so. Hopefully, a healthy Bryant and Darvish are like getting the two All-Star caliber players the fans want. Joe was right to point out that they went cold at the wrong time but they did win 95 games. You don't just sneeze and win 95 games.

founder_donation.jpg

Re: CubsHQ: An overview of the 2019 FA market based on WAR

[1]
Posted: Dec 17, 2018 10:33 AM

great first-time post!

I agree with you on most of your points.

Hopefully, some of the younger guys will have a stellar season like Bryant and Contreras which would help some.

2018 admin level memberfounder_donation.jpg

Replies: 2  
[ Main Cubs Boards - General Baseball ]
Start New Topic
584 people have read this post