CubsHQ Boards

Donor's Den General Leaderboards HQ coins™ POTD Hall of Fame FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your HQ coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Joe Maddon mismanaging
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Joe Maddon mismanaging

May 14, 2018, 4:27 PM

It seems as though now more than ever, Joe cannot put this team into the right groove. No one on the team seems to be in any sort of rhythm and it shows on the mound and in the batters box. Constant mistakes and misplays from Maddon seem to be hindering any long term success this season. Simple things like benching players who could be making major impacts on the game in favor of a guy who hasn't had a go in a while, or Joe being worried about rest for Playoffs is not allowing the cubs lineup to find it's groove. Roster adjustments can at times add some zing to a lineup, but it also prevents these creatures of habit from getting into their routines. It seems as though the Cubs could benefit from a more consistent lineup. Thoughts?

founder_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Joe Maddon mismanaging

May 14, 2018, 5:06 PM

I certainly agree with you to some extent. The constant changes of the lineup are making me crazy but hopefully, it will all work out by the end of the season.

If not, Cubs fans will be wanting Maddon to answer to some of his decisions.

May 14, 2018, 5:17 PM

In my opinion, we should use our plethora of young hitters who are of major league quality to bring in Machado for half a season and then with a successful season convince him to sign as a free agent. The trading of some of our offensive pieces may actually bring some stability to our lineup while sacrificing depth.

Obviously, that is not worth it if the Cubs don't believe they could sign a long term deal with him after season end.

May 14, 2018, 6:07 PM

He is trying to build a roster full of players that he can use in the postseason. But they are not getting in a rhythm and the Cubs might not even make it to the postseason.

May 14, 2018, 7:05 PM

And the irony is that if the Cubs don't get to the postseason, not only will Maddon's constant fiddling have been in done in vain...it might do him in.

May 14, 2018, 6:44 PM

Maddon sometimes seems to get in his own way. It's baffling to me right now that he won't just put Almora in the leadoff spot and keep him there. I've never seen a great roster have as many random batting orders as the Cubs have had since the start of last season. I know it's still early in the season, but the Cubs need to start settling into a groove. And Maddon can deny it all he wants, but the inconsistent starting lineups and batting orders has to at least partially explain why the Cubs have been so wishy-washy all season long so far.

May 14, 2018, 8:19 PM

He is not the biggest fan of Almora Jr. for some reason. Possibly, Almora ran over his dog, etc.

May 14, 2018, 7:50 PM

I dont think Ive ever seen anyone manage a baseball team with such a short term mindset. Inconsistency in the lineup has led to inconsistency on the field and at the plate. Maybe we should see if it works the other way? Just a thought.

With how inconsistent they’ve been it’s not like giving that a few weeks as an experiment could really be seen as much of a failure if it doesn’t pan out. Not like we are missing out on any sure wins at this point because there doesn’t seem to be such a thing as a sure win as far as the Cubs are concerned right now.

There is too much talent on this roster to have these kinds of results and I think at least fielding your best team in the same positions and batting order for a a dozen games or so could prove to be an antidote.

May 14, 2018, 10:24 PM

Does anyone else think Maddon does things just to do them and make himself look like he is playing some kind of 3-dimensional chess?

May 15, 2018, 8:47 AM

seems 4th dimensional checkers to me

May 15, 2018, 1:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Joe Maddon mismanaging ]

Long time listener, first time caller!

I'm more concerned with the recent coaching changes. Maybe it's a bit short-sighted on my part but the product on the field is noticeably worse than in recent years. Maybe it's inconsistency, maybe it's complacency, maybe it's a combination? The coaching changes seem to have unsettled the roster from top to bottom in one form or another.

The bullpen has been the saving grace so far this season. By-in-large, they have been lights out!
But if they are used to this level for the entire season, September will be the end of the road for this season. The bullpen will be toast!

May 15, 2018, 2:00 PM

I agree that I thought that Chilli Davis would bring something to the table but it appears that they have actually regressed this season.

Don't get me started on all the bad plays on the base paths and the starters inability to throw strikes.

Oh well, it's only May.

May 14, 2018, 10:29 PM

Also, great first post. Please post more often

May 15, 2018, 2:00 PM

Joe was at the helm when they finally brought a Championship to all the long suffering Cubs fans but I have long stood by my opinion that they won in spite of him, not because of him (mostly regarding game 7 of the WS). There are days when I think I could manage the team better than him (although I know this is PROBABLY not the case :) ). It's fine if he's trying a few different things to see what works best but he needs to iron out the details soon so they can get settled and in a groove. The only possible benefit I can think of to all this chaos is that it might make the team a little more flexible and able to adapt to change which could help them down the line if there are injuries. I want to like him cuz he seems like a nice enough guy but I find myself generally wanting to punch him and/or yell at him. There is so much talent on this team - I just hope Joe doesn't squander it away.

May 15, 2018, 2:58 PM

I agree that he is trying to make his team so flexible that sometimes it kills his team's chances a few times a week.

May 15, 2018, 3:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Joe Maddon mismanaging ]

Building hypothetical situations with a loaded roster is fine for the first couple weeks, or when you have a comfortable division lead late in the summer and into the fall. Unfortunately for the cubs, those first couple weeks have passed and we sit in 4th place in an extremely competitive division. It is time to buckle down.

This Braves series should be a benchmark for us going forward.

May 15, 2018, 3:40 PM

I agree ... play time is over, it's not spring training anymore. You need to win

May 17, 2018, 3:38 PM

I actually think the Cubs miss coach Dave Martinez who kept them loose in the dugout and was close with everyone.

May 18, 2018, 1:21 PM

Maddon is the least of the problems. The players have not done what they're supposed to do and have been distracted by the black shoes and all the other changes around Wrigley. Bring back the Taco Bell and I have a good idea that we would win some games!

May 18, 2018, 1:35 PM

Interesting...it's the curse of the $2 meal deal at Taco Bell haunting the Cubs in 2018.

May 18, 2018, 5:11 PM

Play fundamental baseball, we need execution. Everyone is going for the long ball. We know everyone on the team can hit it over the wall but how many can place the ball down the line (bunt) other than the pitcher, and give the next guy the chance to bring in the tying or go ahead run.

May 18, 2018, 5:40 PM

Yep right on.

Guys are swinging for the fences or striking out when they simply need to move runners over with less than two outs. So many pop-ups on the season when all they need is a ground ball to the right side, etc.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic