CubsHQ Boards

Donor's Den General Leaderboards HQ coins™ POTD Hall of Fame FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your HQ coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ken's Rating/Ranking system
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

Ken's Rating/Ranking system

Mar 8, 2019, 6:45 PM

Our editor likes us to write articles that rank things. As a rule, I hate doing those. Mostly because they are subjective, until now. How do you rank the Cubs spring pitching staff when they all have different stats? This guy's era is 2.20, but that guy has 5 strikeouts in 2 innings. This guy has a 0.00 ERA, but he's issued a half-dozen walks. Alas, I've come up with a system.

Most of you know how much I love crunching numbers, so this was a no-brainer. I kind of got the idea while chatting with Anthony Bass the other day. He was telling me that walks bother him more than hits, as he feels he should have more control over his pitches- that spawned an idea.

By Opening Day, I will have put together a spreadsheet that ranks EVERY pitcher on the team during spring training, based on an objective set of criteria. When I explained it to Anthony, he found it intriguing, so much so, that I told him I'd calculate the Reds pitching staff next week (on their off day), so that he can see how he's measuring up. He's very curious to see the results.

In short (and without divulging my exact formula):
1) Every pitcher starts with 100 base points.
2) Everything is proportioned to align with the pitcher who's pitched the most innings. So if Chatwood has pitched the most for the team, let's say 16 innings, but Edwards has only pitched 8, all of Edwards factors are multiplied by two, making them proportionate. The same will be done for each pitcher.
(3) Hits, EARNED runs, homeruns, walks, and hit-batsmen are worth a negative amount of points for each occurrence.
(4) Strikeouts are each worth a positive number.
(5) Using the above example, Edwards score would be walks, hits, etc., all multiplied by their respective negative point values, then doubled, to make them equal to Chatwood's innings.
(6) The final number is then subtracted (or added, if the total is positive) to the base sxcore off 100.
(7) Players are then ranked according to final scores.
(8) Players who have been cut or optioned will also be included, and I will rank the starters as one group, then the relievers as their own group.

Thoughts?

Message was edited by: KenAllison18®

founder_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ken's Rating/Ranking system

Mar 8, 2019, 7:06 PM

sound interesting

Mar 8, 2019, 8:44 PM

It'll be a lot of stats and calculations, but I'm interested to see the outcome.

Mar 9, 2019, 7:24 AM

Of course in spring training pitchers may be working on their curveball one day, or only pitching from the stretch, or just trying to throw on the outside corner, which is why spring training stats are completely worthless.

Once the regular season is under way this could be of interest for some people.

Mar 9, 2019, 7:04 PM

I agree, spring is mostly for a trial run, but Bass thinks the numbers may prove interesting.

Mar 11, 2019, 8:25 PM

Interesting...can you show us any data so far?

Mar 12, 2019, 12:07 AM

Interesting...can you show us any data so far?

As a favor to Anthony, I told him I'd calculate the entire Reds pitching staff from the start of the spring season (2/23) up through today's (3/12) game with the Cubs. That's just a little past the mid-way point of their spring schedule, and they're off on 3/13.

I told him I would get him all the stats by Wednesday 3/13. He's got a minor league contract, but is competing for a job on the major league roster, so he is interested to see how he is stacking up against the other members of the pitching staff. Once I get it done, I will email it to him, then post it here so that you can see.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic