CubsHQ Boards

Donor's Den General Leaderboards HQ coins™ POTD Hall of Fame FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your HQ coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Let's end this "Former Cub" nonsense
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

Let's end this "Former Cub" nonsense

Jun 29, 2019, 3:29 PM

Dan's Take:

I know the Cubs have been stinking up the place this past month, and I’m as unhappy as the next Cubs fan about it, but something important has been bugging me for some time now, and frankly, we writers are the main problem.

I want to change the rule that says a player is referred to as “the former Cub” only if they played at least 81 games for them. I know this is going to be an issue going forward with Carlos Gonzalez when he gets released today. He played about 8 minutes for the Cubs and yet three years from now he will be called “the former Cub,” by every writer and announcer in Chicago.

This is just wrong, and it denigrates those that actually did play for the Cubs in the past. Getting a three-game call-up or playing for two weeks and getting released does not make you a former anything for that team.

You don’t get your number retired, you don’t get invited to alumni games, you don’t get a birthday wish from Ken Allison in his news and notes section, and you aren’t asked to stop by spring training and work with the infielders. It means we tried you, you stunk, and we let you go. Period.

When these marginal Cubs retire, nobody says I can picture him in a Cubs hat in Cooperstown. They universally say. “when I think of player “A,” it reminds me of when he played for the Reds.”

Being outside of Chicago, in a market where we get games from three different teams, I get to listen to other announcers and rarely do they refer to a player as “former team X” like they do in Chicago.

This is all part of the Cubs fans arrogance regarding our team. We think the whole world revolves around the Cubs and that everyone on the planet dreams of being one. Newsflash, not so much.

Let’s end this nonsense right here and now and go back to what we should be focused on, and that is why the Cubs continue to pitch to Joey Votto when he is batting .974 lifetime versus them.

founder_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

any player who, without disgrace, wears a cub

Jun 30, 2019, 9:31 AM

Uniform as a contracted player even if they, like Moonlight Graham, only hit a sac fly as their only at bat, is a former Cub.

Re: any player who, without disgrace, wears a cub

Jun 30, 2019, 9:50 AM

LOL...I think Crappy McBaggins was a great former Cub.

Re: any player who, without disgrace, wears a cub

Jun 30, 2019, 10:11 AM

And you two guys tell me I'm nuts.

former braves manager Ted Turner***

Jun 30, 2019, 4:57 PM [ in reply to Re: any player who, without disgrace, wears a cub ]

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic