CubsHQ Boards

Donor's Den General Leaderboards HQ coins™ POTD Hall of Fame FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your HQ coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mike Trout
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Mike Trout

Mar 3, 2019, 8:16 AM

If the Cubs don't go all out for Trout they can hang it up for another 108yr. They win a WS, and that was great. But you can't sit back and say "Hey look how great I am. The Cubs owners are billionaires and yet they sit back and let every good FA go to other clubs. They better watch what's going on around them or the Cubs won't even be "Loveable Losers" they will be JUST LOSERS. I have been a Cub fan for over 60yr. so I have the right to #####. Take heed Cub front office.

founder_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mike Trout

Mar 3, 2019, 8:43 AM

Angels reportedly gonna offer him 10 year 350 mil extension

Mar 3, 2019, 9:21 AM

Hey jarhead, thanks for your post. I've been a Cubs fan for 60 years+ too but I'm seeing something different than you.

The Cubs are currently on a 4 year streak of over .500 baseball where they've finished 3rd, 1st, 1st, and 2nd in the Central. The last time they had at least 4 straight years of over .500 baseball was from 1967 to 1972, and their longest streak was all the way back from 1926-1939. To say they are resorting to the loveable loser teams, or worse, is just not a fact.

MLB has made it clear to teams that they do not want them spending money by putting in a luxury tax that penalizes them severely if they go over it. It is so high that even teams like the Yankees and Dodgers have made sure that they get under it.

To criticize ownership because they choose to not waste money, no matter what their personal worth may be, is unfair and unwarranted. They have a winning team, with a winning culture being cultivated and they are doing all the little things to insure sustained positive performances going forward.

You, and many other fans, should be enjoying what you are seeing right now because we suffered watching garbage for a really long time before this. These are our golden years in life, and as Cubs fans. Enjoy the view, we earned it.

Mar 3, 2019, 12:58 PM

I don't see Mike Trout headed to Wrigley with all the players that the Cubs need to extend in the future.

Mar 3, 2019, 3:15 PM

ditto

Mar 3, 2019, 8:45 PM

I agree. If the cubs want to keep the talent they have while these guys are still young and capable, Tom is going to be opening his wallet to the tune of countless millions to extend them.

Mar 4, 2019, 8:21 AM

My fear with the ownership is are they starting to go cheap because of the recent bag contracts they have signed to their roster. Everyone knows how much money that comes have and everyone knows it shouldn't be a problem to open the check book to sign players. Harper made it perfectly clear that he want to play for either the cubs or the dodgers this season so why didn't records open the check book and sign him as my question. They didn't even have to give him a 10 year deal I could have given him a 5 year deal with the same amount of money to fill is that in he probably would have come here the fact that he is putting all his ducks in a row for this New Chicago Cubs television network makes me worry if he cares more about making money and stead of continuing to put a World Series contending franchise on the field. A winning franchise is much different than a World Series contending franchise.

Mar 4, 2019, 8:42 AM

There is no way sadly that Boras would have recommended him coming to Chicago on a five-year deal when there were 10-13 year deals out there.

With MLB contracts fully guaranteed ($330 mil), you don't wanna hurt yourself but not maxing out your career earnings in case of injury, etc.

Obviously, if he signed two 6 or 7-year deals back-to-back, the money would be nearly the same or even better, but the client and agent risk not making it to the second contract if he plays poorly or gets a career-ending injury, etc.

Mar 4, 2019, 9:36 AM

And it's a major risk based on how tough it has been for FA's over 32 to get longer than 1-2 year deals.

Mar 4, 2019, 10:19 AM

Yep

Mar 4, 2019, 6:05 PM

You can have yer Army khakis, you can have yer Navy blues, but here's a different fighting man, I'll introduce to you!!...You come from Paris Island, the land that God forgot?

I think the Cubs are primed for two years in the pitching rotation, and have got four, candidates for MVP. Bryant, Baez, Rizzo, and SURPRISE SURPRISE!!....Contraras!!
108 wins this season!!

Mar 4, 2019, 6:24 PM

I like your optimistic attitude! I think that Contreras will have a great year too and he is a big key in the offense.

Thanks for visiting the boards.

Mar 4, 2019, 6:31 PM

Contreras was on his way the season before last, when he went down with an injury. He is young and all the media attention, and the Cubs winning it all in 2016 was, a lot to this young guy's head. Nobody can argue his defensive skills that are arguably the best. This youngster has all the potential tools, but his biggest attribute? He's got HEART!

Mar 4, 2019, 6:59 PM

If Contreras can get pitch framing accomplished, there'll be no stopping him.

Mar 5, 2019, 5:14 PM

If Contreras can get pitch framing accomplished, there'll be no stopping him.

I always thought that pitch framing was overrated. I respect yer rights as a free moral agent though. "That RUMPire better be Major League quality, and not be swayed by framing" is my personal opinion. One less thing for a Catcher to concentrate on.

Mar 4, 2019, 6:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Mike Trout ]

I'm optimistic, although I don't quite rise to your level of enthusiasm.

Mar 5, 2019, 5:36 PM

I was a Jarhead Grunt 75 to 82 BTW. Cub fan since 68. I understand you about the "right to #####"!

I bitched when this new ownership took over!......"New Culture"???......I thought the way Mike Ditka thinks....."Who they crappin"?.....They lived by what they said!!....Now if the Cubs could get over the hangover from 2016, we can win another!!....(Without rain delays)

Mar 5, 2019, 5:39 PM

Be nice to win another one...I was so nervous watching the 2016 title I could barely enjoy it on television.

Mar 6, 2019, 2:37 PM

LOL, my stomach was in knots for just about the entire playoff run in '16.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic