»
Topic: Offense struggles
Replies: 9   Last Post: Jan 2, 2019 11:15 AM by: KenAllison18®
[ Main Cubs Boards - General Baseball ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 9  

Offense struggles

Posted: Dec 22, 2018 11:30 AM

I think it was opening day last year Len Casper said he thought they Cubs offense was so good they would score 20 runs in a game this season....maybe a couple of times. Fast forward to the end of the season where Cubs set a record for scoring a single run on a solo HR in like 4 consecutive games. Are all our bats just overrated? I know Bryant has been hurt but the dude has never been clutch in my eyes. Rizzo is clutch.

founder_donation.jpg

Re: Offense struggles

Posted: Dec 23, 2018 10:12 AM

I hate to say it, but I think a lot of the Cubs are overrated (offensively). Bryant, Happ, Heyward, Contreras, Russell for starters.

founder_donation.jpg

Posted: Dec 24, 2018 11:04 AM

Cubs need some bounceback years from most of those above.

2019 admin level memberfounder_donation.jpg

Posted: Dec 24, 2018 11:14 AM

I'm concerned that so many of the guys need bounce-back seasons. I hope that Maddon's new approach, combined with the new additions of Iapoce and Hottovy, combined with an off-season filled with regret for the players will somehow inspire them in 2019.

I don't want to hear how "May and June don't matter" I want them out there playing like every game is a "Game 7."

founder_donation.jpg

Posted: Dec 24, 2018 11:15 AM

Yea they were too cocky last season and it came from Maddon's relaxed approach which is good when you are winning...not so good when you choke away the division.

Posted: Dec 24, 2018 11:30 AM

I remember when Scott asked me if I could see the Cubs entering the playoffs as a wildcard- I almost choked on my coffee. Low and behold- there they were.

founder_donation.jpg

Posted: Dec 26, 2018 9:56 AM

You are going to be really disappointed in 2019. No team can maintain a "game 7" edge for 162 games. No organization expects them to maintain that type of mentality. You need to be more realistic.

founder_donation.jpg

Posted: Dec 26, 2018 10:25 AM

I don't think it's unrealistic to expect them to play with the attitude that winning matters. Of course they aren't going to win 162 games, no one expects that- I just don't want them taking games for granted under the assumption that "there are always other days."

founder_donation.jpg

Posted: Jan 2, 2019 8:57 AM

It's easier for them to understand taking one game at a time after the choke job this past season.

That was a brutal ending to the season with the Brewers.

Posted: Jan 2, 2019 11:15 AM

Complacency will bite you in the rump every time. I certainly don't think the Cubs will go 140-22 this year, but I want to see them play at least 95% of the time like their season is on the line. If they don't start patching holes, they may wind up in third place no matter how hard they play.

founder_donation.jpg

Replies: 9  
[ Main Cubs Boards - General Baseball ]
Start New Topic
541 people have read this post