CubsHQ Boards

Donor's Den General Leaderboards HQ coins™ POTD Hall of Fame FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your HQ coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Offense struggles
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Offense struggles

Dec 22, 2018, 11:30 AM

I think it was opening day last year Len Casper said he thought they Cubs offense was so good they would score 20 runs in a game this season....maybe a couple of times. Fast forward to the end of the season where Cubs set a record for scoring a single run on a solo HR in like 4 consecutive games. Are all our bats just overrated? I know Bryant has been hurt but the dude has never been clutch in my eyes. Rizzo is clutch.

founder_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Offense struggles

Dec 23, 2018, 10:12 AM

I hate to say it, but I think a lot of the Cubs are overrated (offensively). Bryant, Happ, Heyward, Contreras, Russell for starters.

Dec 24, 2018, 11:04 AM

Cubs need some bounceback years from most of those above.

Dec 24, 2018, 11:14 AM

I'm concerned that so many of the guys need bounce-back seasons. I hope that Maddon's new approach, combined with the new additions of Iapoce and Hottovy, combined with an off-season filled with regret for the players will somehow inspire them in 2019.

I don't want to hear how "May and June don't matter" I want them out there playing like every game is a "Game 7."

Dec 24, 2018, 11:15 AM

Yea they were too cocky last season and it came from Maddon's relaxed approach which is good when you are winning...not so good when you choke away the division.

Dec 24, 2018, 11:30 AM

I remember when Scott asked me if I could see the Cubs entering the playoffs as a wildcard- I almost choked on my coffee. Low and behold- there they were.

Dec 26, 2018, 9:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Offense struggles ]

You are going to be really disappointed in 2019. No team can maintain a "game 7" edge for 162 games. No organization expects them to maintain that type of mentality. You need to be more realistic.

Dec 26, 2018, 10:25 AM

I don't think it's unrealistic to expect them to play with the attitude that winning matters. Of course they aren't going to win 162 games, no one expects that- I just don't want them taking games for granted under the assumption that "there are always other days."

Jan 2, 2019, 8:57 AM

It's easier for them to understand taking one game at a time after the choke job this past season.

That was a brutal ending to the season with the Brewers.

Jan 2, 2019, 11:15 AM

Complacency will bite you in the rump every time. I certainly don't think the Cubs will go 140-22 this year, but I want to see them play at least 95% of the time like their season is on the line. If they don't start patching holes, they may wind up in third place no matter how hard they play.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic