CubsHQ Boards

Donor's Den General Leaderboards HQ coins™ POTD Hall of Fame FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your HQ coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pitching wave beginning to take shape
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Pitching wave beginning to take shape

May 16, 2019, 10:22 AM

By now, if any of you read my minor league stories daily, you can see the Cubs have plenty of pitching help on the way. Oscar De La Cruz and Adbert Alzolay are considered the top two in the system, but several others are beginning to make noise and could prove to be valuable in the future.

AA: Tyson Miller has been on fire all season and currently sports the best ERA at 0.96 in all of AA. If this pace continues for another month the Cubs have no choice but to call him up to Iowa.
AA: Cory Abbott's name isn't mentioned much, but after another strong outing to lower his ERA to 2.96 we need to keep an eye on him also.

High A: Javier Assad is one pitcher who we may start to see fly up the prospect sheet. From a pure stuff stand point, Assad has always had great stuff, but the command wasnt consistently their. Well, if May is any indication, Assad may have figure it out as he has yet to allow a run in three May starts compiling 17 innings in the process.

A: Brailyn Marquez: Although young and extremely Raw, Marquez is an intriguing prospect for two reasons. 1. He is a lenghty lefty. 2. He is hitting 96 mph consistently in A ball right now with his heater. As his body begins to devolope fully you can expect that heater to improve also. Marquez hasnt gone much into the fifth inning as a starter making him an intriguing piece as a possible future closer, but he has a desire to start so for the time being he will.

founder_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pitching wave beginning to take shape

May 16, 2019, 11:15 AM

Who is the top prospect who could close?

May 16, 2019, 11:33 AM

They technically do not have one at the moment. But if I could get a glimpse as to what they are thinking I know James Norwood Dillon maples and Dakota makkas in Tripoli were all options. I honestly think Marquez Is the answer at south bend Not only does he throw extremely hard already doesn't pitch that deep into games making him a very plausible option to close

May 16, 2019, 11:35 AM

Very interesting...thanks

May 16, 2019, 11:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Pitching wave beginning to take shape ]

I wonder if some of those guys would make good trade bait for a real closer out there

May 16, 2019, 1:37 PM

Some of them of course would be good trade bait, but I would caution the cubs from doing That. We already have one of the oldest if not the oldest starting rotation in baseball and we have a lot of older arms in the bullpen. I wanna get younger in pitching not older

May 16, 2019, 4:11 PM

The problem with that is that a "real closer" is going to be seasoned, but probably a little older. The Cubs need youth in that spot. Look at Hader, I haven't checked, but he can't be more than 29 years old. Or Felipe Vazquez from Pittsburgh- 27 years old. The Cubs need to pluck one guy from the herd and groom him. I'd rather see Mekkes as a middle reliever, but he may be a good choice- filthy movement on his breaking stuff. Maples may be another good candidate, but right now, my money would be on Mekkes.

May 16, 2019, 5:50 PM

Hader is 26.

May 17, 2019, 3:54 PM

I knew he was young- I thought 27 or so, but knew he wasn't 29. People can hate on him for his off-field remarks (just as they do Murphy, Chapman, Russell, etc, etc), but Hader can pitch. Really think he needs to work on a new hairstyle though.

May 16, 2019, 1:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Pitching wave beginning to take shape ]

Some of them of course would be good trade bait, but I would caution the cubs from doing That. We already have one of the oldest if not the oldest starting rotation in baseball and we have a lot of older arms in the bullpen. I wanna get younger in pitching not older

May 16, 2019, 7:55 PM

Interesting stuff...

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic