»
Topic: Tom Ricketts finally adds payroll in winnable NL Central
Replies: 6   Last Post: Jan 30, 2021, 9:48 AM by: cucubbie®
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your null to grant this post a special award and grant the author bonus null!

YOUR BALANCE
monetization_on
[ Chicago Sports HQ Forums - CubsHQ ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 6  

Tom Ricketts finally adds payroll in winnable NL Central

Jan 29, 2021, 1:06 PM

Tom Ricketts finally adds payroll in winnable NL Central

After two or should I even say three years of spending next to nothing in free agency, the Cubs surprised fans a bit this morning by signing Joc Pederson to a one-year deal for seven million. Full Story »

founder_donation.jpg flag link

Re: Tom Ricketts finally adds payroll in winnable NL Central

Jan 29, 2021, 1:32 PM

Dustin & Tony, I'm thoroughly confused with this signing. They let Schwarber walk but sign Joc. They both hit for a very low average, they both strikeout a ton and they both are no gazelle in the outfield but Schwarbs had a cannon for an arm for a left fielder. What am I missing as to why they let Schwarbs walk and sign Joc?

[1]
Jan 29, 2021, 1:37 PM

Ricketts added money which allowed this to happen. If he did this a month ago schwarber would be here

Jan 29, 2021, 1:37 PM

Ricketts added money which allowed this to happen. If he did this a month ago schwarber would be here

Jan 29, 2021, 2:30 PM

Schwarbs probably needed new scenery for his career and a new start. I think the Cubs think that Pederson might have a big year in 2021 on the Northside for what they paid.

Jan 29, 2021, 9:25 PM

I'd like to be pleased with this, but he's slightly less good than Kyle, slightly more expensive, and came at the cost of sending a fan-favorite slugger to a contending NL team. None of it makes any sense. Maybe he'll be a fine player for the Cubs. Maybe he'll hit .250, 40 HRs, and spark a stale offense. Maybe he'll bring some fresh perspective to a team that should still be Dodger rivals. Maybe.

Jan 30, 2021, 9:48 AM

Pederson actually hits a little better (makes more contact) and plays defense a little better (can play multiple OF positions) and a little cheaper, in all honesty.

I'm the biggest Schwarber fan but this was a decent move at this time in free agency.

Pederson had turned down the White Sox at $10 mil and the Cubs got him at only $7 mil.

Replies: 6  
[ Chicago Sports HQ Forums - CubsHQ ]
Start New Topic
1178 people have read this post