CubsHQ Boards

Donor's Den General Leaderboards HQ coins™ POTD Hall of Fame FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your HQ coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Four Takeaways From Cubs-Marlins series
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Oct 3, 2020, 8:33 AM

It wasn't the result Cubs fans wanted or expected, but the Chicago Cubs bowed out of the National League Wildcard series 2-0. Full Story »

founder_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Four Takeaways From Cubs-Marlins series

Oct 3, 2020, 10:38 AM

Dustin Riese, if you have the ear of the batting coach for the Cubs. Sometime ask him if it would be possible for the core of the team, or for that matter the entire team, look at videos of Ernie Banks, who hit 512 homeruns, and Ryan Sandberg, who is probably in top 10 of 2nd basemen in homeruns, and see their level swings. They did not try and be heros, everytime they came up to bat. They swung level, and maybe the ball only went between the 3rd and 10 row of the bleachers, but they had tremendous success swinging level.

Oct 3, 2020, 12:52 PM

Unfortunately launch angle is preached too much now to have level swings

Oct 3, 2020, 10:46 AM

Good column Dustin. I wanted to see the Cubs go farther but even before the playoffs started I stated I just didn't see the Cubs going far with their inconsistent hitting. Maybe the two games and done are the best thing to happen to the Cubs. It should hopefully tell them that its time to dismantle this core of players. Everyone should be available via a trade. I still believe if Bryant can be resigned at a team friendly extension the Cubs should try. Also thank you to Big Jon Lester on your Cub career. More than likely he won't be resigned even with the Cubs eating the $10 mil buyout option. Besides players, changes need to be made with management at upper levels as well. I will be looking forward to the insight from Tony, Dustin, Ken, Anthony, Cole and the rest of the CubsHQ writers this offseason as well as my favorite MLB TV "Hot Stove". Changes be a Coming.

Message was edited by: Ken®

Oct 3, 2020, 11:08 AM

Thanks Ken for the nice words! We appreciate you on the site and always appreciate your discussion and comments.

Oct 3, 2020, 12:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Four Takeaways From Cubs-Marlins series ]

Bryant should not be brought back

Oct 3, 2020, 4:21 PM

Just curious, you don't think Bryant can come back from his injuries to be the hitter he was originally even at a team friendly contract?

Oct 4, 2020, 12:17 AM

I would like to believe he could, as we certainly saw the power is still there this season. He had a homerun on the same day he had hurt his hand trying to make that diving catch. Then, cut to the final series against the White Sox and he hits that crucial grand slam. I know that he cares VERY much about not delivering and not being at the same level he was in 2015. He constantly puts a lot of pressure on himself and is the last one that wants to miss games due to injuries. I think he is incredible at defense and is able to pull off amazing plays and there still is "magic" in a double play involving Bryant, Baez, and Rizzo. I feel with all 3 of those guys it is ALL mental and if you can get past that...you can fix a major component with the BIG 3. Then, since they are somewhat of the "Captains" or who everyone looks to (besides Jon Lester and J-Hey) if they see those 3 heading in the right direction, the pieces fall into place.

For example, look at Schwarber this season. Up until this season he approached every at bat as if he was ONLY going to do one thing...smash it out of the park. This season, he went deep into counts, he was not afraid to take his walks, he was able to pull singles to the opposite field. He improved significantly as a hitter, I believe. I also believe that this was Ian Happ and J-Hey's best season so far when it comes to hitting and overall offense. So, there are elements that are working and could continue to work. I think what everyone has to rememeber is that this was a VERY unique and unusal season with protocols and outside factors that they have NEVER had to deal with before and hopefully, will never have to deal with again. Javy is VERY dependent on being able to immediately go in the dugout and watch his last at-bat and study hit, etc. This season he was not able to do that and I think it made a HUGE impact on his hitting. He also is a player that thrives on the response of the fans, the cheers, the energy, and not having that also impacted him. But, we still saw some amazing and definite "El Mago" moments from him. Stealing home plate...twice! His defense is ridiculous and the plays that he can make are unreal. Remember the double play where he caught the ball in somewhat of an awkward way while a player was sliding into 2nd. So, he jumped and almost had the form of a ballet dancer and threw it perfectly to Rizzo for the double play.

I just think as much as the offense was NOT there and everyone agrees and it MUST be fixed, what did get them to the Postseason and allowed them to win the Division and be in 1st place (except for 1 day) was great pitching and incredible defense. You can have ALL the power hitters in the world but, if you don't have excellent starting pitchers and a fantastic defense behind them, you are not going to go far. I mean, let us not forget that Alec Mills had a "No-No" this season that was TRULY a team "No-No." Do I think some changes have to be made? Yes. I want to first hear definitely what "rules" will be in place for next year...are they sticking with universal DH? Are they going with the man on 2nd in a tied game in the 10th inning? Are they doing 7 inning double headers? The answers to these questions would help me in knowing how to construct the team to meet these changes, as those changes do rely on creating a NEW strategy for the game and looking at things differently. I think the days of a designated closer are gone. I also think that most clubs are only going to have the money to have a 4 man rotation. They say scouting for the next several seasons will be tough overall due to the Pandemic. I believe every team has to eliminate atleast 2 affiliate organizations at the minor league/farm league level. So, that will have an impact on developing players and most organizations will be looking at how to overhaul their player development now. I think that Independent Baseball is going to see a big resurgence though because of this, which is think in the long run will be good for the game, it will be good for thr cities that have these stadiums, and it could be good for teams to scout.

In the end, I think we need a team with more youth and a team where each player is a threat when it comes to hitting. Not only that, each player knows how to hit against the shift, they know how to hit a fastball, they know how to properly bunt, they know how when the bases are loaded to hit deep to get a sac fly. That much I do know and I know that in 2015, every member of the Cubs team could do that and they only got better at it in 2016 which is how and why we won the World Series. Then, that ability decreased a little in 2017 but not much. By 2018 though...things definitely started to look bad and it was hard to see and was confusing. I can imagine that even Theo, Joe, you name it were confused and thought it was just a fluke. Then, 2019 cemented it and they knew it was NOT just a fluke. So, here we are in 2020 with a lot of the same problems...which were only made worse by a VERY bizarre season. To be honest, I think the 3 game Wild Card series was a weird concept. In years past, if you win your division, you won your division and you went on to best of 5. Do I think the Cubs would have won such a series against let's say the Braves or even the Marlins...NO. However, I do think the design of the Postseason this year was bizarre. I mean, the National League Central had 4 of the 5 teams in the Postseaon and NONE of them made it. There is something to be examined further there.

In the end, I love this team so much and I love that we at least have a winning team and a team that at the beginning of each season has a VERY good chance of making it to the playoffs. We have owners that care about winning and care about the fans and aren't afraid to invest in the team. We have a President and a GM who are both VERY smart about baseball and almost can see into the future. Finally, we have a fantastic Manager that knows how to be tough when he has to but also knows how to give someone the benefit of the doubt when needed. He cares about them, he loves them, he respects them, he is proud of them, and they worship him, and don't want to let him down. We have a VERY good culture going right now and that is one thing I don't want to change. The fact that we were the ONLY team to not have a Covid case, I think says a lot about who and what the Cubs are and what the Cubs as a whole represent. They are a team that deserves respect and deep down...I think every team secretly does respect them. They are NOT a joke anymore and that is huge!

Oct 4, 2020, 10:37 AM

thanks for the post...nominated for one of the longest of the year!

Oct 6, 2020, 1:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Four Takeaways From Cubs-Marlins series ]

I don't think he will ever come back to his MVP form. He has regressed way too much. As far as a team friendly deal no chance it happens with his agent and the fact that he is still salty over the grievance hearing he lost. Ever since then the bridge has been burned and Bryant hasnt been the same since

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic