Mariners stun Chicago, Chapman late
|Saturday, July 30, 2016 6:10 PM- -|
CHICAGO -- Chicago's new flamethrowing reliever Aroldis Chapman is human after all.
A two-run double by Leonys Martin in the 8th inning off of Chapman and followed by a wild pitch from Chapman that scored Martin lifted the Mariners to a 4-1 victory over the Cubs on Saturday.
Chicago couldn't manage any hits against Seattle starter Wade Miley (7-8, 4.98) until the seventh inning when the Cubs took a 1-0 lead after Dexter Fowler was called safe at home after a review. The review went against the Cubs later in the inning when Kris Bryant tried to steal home. Originally called safe, the call was overturned on review and Bryant was called out.
The reigning National League Cy Young winner Jake Arrieta, walked two batters in the eighth and was replaced by Hector Rondon and then Chapman. Chapman was unable to the hold lead and suffered his second blown save in 23 chances this season.
Arrieta (12-5, 2.75) took the loss and went winless in July after starting the 5-0 in April with a 1.00 ERA, becoming just the seventh pitcher in MLB history to win five games in April with an ERA of 1.00 or lower. In July, Arrieta was 0-3 with a 4.88 ERA in five starts, and the Cubs have lost his last five starts.
The rubber match with Seattle will be on Sunday at 8:08 p.m. CT when Kyle Hendricks (9-7, 2.39) faces Felix Hernandez (5-4, 3.45).
* The Cubs fell to 56-2 when leading entering the eighth inning and 42-11 when scoring first … recorded three or fewer hits for the ninth time this season.
* Manager Joe Maddon challenged that Dexter Fowler was out at home plate in the seventh inning … after a review, the call was overturned.
* Addison Russell committed an error in the eighth inning, snapping his streak of 28-straight games without a miscue … was just the Cubs third error since the AllStar
Break and snapped a streak of six-straight games without an error.
* The Cubs recorded three wild pitches … entered today’s action with the second-most wild pitches in the N.L. with 45 (Atlanta, 57).
* Chicago owns a 2.62 ERA (133 ER/457.0 IP) in 50 home games … that’s the lowest home ERA in the majors as the Dodgers are second with a 2.98 mark.
* Ben Zobrist (1-for-3, SAC) has hit safely in four-straight games (.429/6-for-14).
* Dexter Fowler (0-for-3, R, BB) has drawn a walk in three-straight games … has three runs in his last two games.