B I O
Joe Maddon, the 2015 N.L. Manager of the Year, was named the 54th manager in Cubs history, November 3, 2014, replacing Rick Renteria ... the 2016 campaign marks his 42nd season in professional baseball, his 23rd at the major league level and 11th as a major league manager. Is a three-time BBWAA Manager of the Year award winner, having earned the honor in 2008 and 2011 with Tampa Bay, and last season with the Cubs. Is one of only seven managers (and three currently active) to win the award at least three times, joining Tony La Russa (four times), Bobby Cox (four), Dusty Baker (three), Jim Leyland (three), Buck Showalter (three) and Lou Piniella (three). Is the sixth manager (and just the second active) to win the award in both leagues, joining La Russa, Cox, Leyland, Piniella and Bob Melvin. With 97 victories in 2015, Maddon set the Cubs franchise record for most wins in a manager's first year with Chicago, surpassing Jim Frey's 96 wins in 1984. Is one of only four managers in major league history to go to the postseason five or more times and not play in the major leagues, joining Hall of Famers Joe McCarthy (nine times) and Earl Weaver (six), as well as Jim Leyland (eight). Joined Chicago following nine seasons (2006-14) at the helm of the Tampa Bay Rays ... led Tampa Bay four post-season appearances (2008, 2010, 2011, 2013) ... helped the Rays to the American League pennant in 2008. Created Thanksmas in 2006, a program that has turned into a week-long event in which Maddon and numerous volunteers serve meals and provide gifts to needy citizens throughout the Tampa Bay area. The Tampa Bay Sports Commission in June of 2012 named him the Tampa Bay area philanthropic player or coach of the year. In November 2012, he received the Ted Williams Award from the Pediatric Cancer Foundation for making a difference in the community. In December 2011, Maddon introduced his Hazleton Integration Project (HIP), created to help develop and maintain an atmosphere that will serve to unify the varied cultures of his Hazleton, Pa., hometown. w In June 2013, HIP opened its Hazleton Community One Center … since then, more than 1,000 people (mostly children) from the Hazleton area signed up for a variety of classes and activities … the center features over 30 programs as diverse as basketball camps, archery lessons, arts and crafts, guitar instruction and family yoga … Joe has worked closely with the Board of Directors of HIP to ensure the Center will be able to serve the needs of the economically disadvantaged Received his honorary degree from Lafayette College (Easton, Pa.), September 2, 2010 … was inducted into Lafayette's Hall of Fame in November 2009. w Played three years of varsity baseball and one season of freshman football … was recruited by Lafayette as a shortstop and pitcher but switched to catcher midway through his freshman season when he volunteered despite having never caught before. On May 12, 2009 was honored at the Pennsylvania State House of Representatives … the House unanimously voted in favor of H.R. 303 highlighting Maddon's accomplishments on the baseball diamond and his continued ties to his hometown of Hazleton, Pa. … Hazleton (population: 25,000) is located approximately 80 miles north of Philadelphia.
Latest Joe Maddon News
- Jon Lester provides funny responses when asked about returning to Wrigley Field -
- Matt Duffy tabs career-high five RBIs, but Cubs fall to Tigers in extras -
- WATCH: Anthony 'Gumby' Rizzo somehow remains on bag while stretching to make catch -
- WATCH: Matt Duffy swats go-ahead three-run jack, his first homer with Cubs -
- David Ross discusses Jon Lester's upcoming return to Wrigley Field -
- Albert Pujols reportedly signs with Dodgers -
- Cubs vs. Tigers: Lineups, TV Info, Game Thread -
- Chicago Cubs lineup vs. Tigers: Ian Happ returns, Willson Contreras sits -
- Cubs activate Ian Happ, designate infielder for assignment -
- Cubs Minors Daily: Ed Howard impressive, Taylor Gushue with homer, Amaya hitless, more -
- Takeaways from Cubs win over Tigers: Extending Bryant, Arrieta back, Kimbrel locked in -
- https://www.healthapnews.com/xl-real-muscle-gainer/ -
- New cannabis user Ryne Sandberg becomes spokesman for weed retailer -
- Jake Arrieta fares well in his return as Cubs tame Tigers in series opener -
- WATCH: Kris Bryant goes 'oppo' with two-run jack, his 10th home run of season -
- Click the link below to read more!
- Copyright © 2016-2021 CubsHQ. Disclaimer and Privacy Statement
- Contact Us
- Advertise with Us
- >> UPGRADE! <<
CubsHQ is an independent site and is not affiliated in any way with the Chicago Cubs or Major League Baseball.